Happy couple holding the keys to their first home Happy couple holding the keys to their first home
Happy couple holding the keys to their first home

We get asked this question a lot, so we thought that we would put together some helpful information to answer some of your questions.

Buying your first home is an exciting time, it can also be an expensive one. Between home loans, stamp duty, inspections and conveyancers, there’s plenty to consider. Thankfully, there are several grants and reductions that apply to eligible first home buyers, all of which can help give you a helping hand. Here, we look at what each state offers in terms of a first-time home buyers grant, so that when the time is right to buy, you’ll know the help that could be available to you.

What is the First Homeowner Grant?

The First Homeowner Grant or FHOG is a national scheme that provides financial assistance to first home buyers who are buying or building their first home. This is a one-off payment that varies depending on the state or territory you are buying in. The eligibility rules will also vary depending on your location.

Below is some basic information about the FHOG in different states and territories in Australia as at time of writing this article.


Depending on the date of your contract, you’ll get $15,000 or $20,000 towards buying or building your new house, unit or townhouse (valued at less than $750,000). The grant is paid per new home and not to each of the applicants for the same home.

You can buy off the plan or choose to build yourself.

You can visit the Queensland Government website for more information here.

First Home Buyer

New South Wales

The First Homeowner Grant scheme in NSW amounts to $10,000 for transactions made on or after January 1, 2016. The value of the new property should not exceed $600,000. If you decide to build a home, the total value should not surpass $750,000.

To be eligible for this grant, you or one of the homeowners should occupy the property for a continuous period of at least six months. Additionally, you must have not received an FHOG in any State or Territory, unless subsequently repaid.

To know more about the eligibility and criteria for the FHOG in NSW, visit the NSW Revenue Office website here.

Australian Capital Territory

The First Home Owner Grant in the ACT has now been replaced with the Home Buyer Concession Scheme.

To get the latest information you can visit the ACT Revenue Office website here.

Northern Territory

The FHOG in the Northern Territory offers up to $10,000 for newly built or new homes only. Your income and the price of the property will not affect the FHOG. However, the grant is only applicable to eligible first home buyers that are purchasing new homes that haven’t been previously occupied or sold as a place of residence.

You may also be eligible for a Build Bonus Grant.

You can get more information at the Northern Territory website here.

Sunshine Coast First Home Loan

South Australia

The First Home Owner Grant in South Australia is $15,000 for the purchase of an established home or a construction of a new home. The value of the property should be no more than $575,000 to be eligible for this grant.

Applicants should reside in the property continuously for six months. Stamp duty concessions are available for those planning to buy off-the-plan in specified areas.

You can check for updates by visiting the Revenue South Australia website here.


In Tasmania, the FHOG has been extended to June 30, 2020 and sits currently at $20,000.

The First Home Owner Grant is a one-off payment for eligible applicants who buy or build a new home. For applicants undergoing construction, the home must be built within 24 months of entering into the contract to remain eligible. The applicant must live in the property for at least six months.

For more information, you can visit the website of the State Revenue Office of Tasmania.


A $10,000 First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) is available when you buy or build your first new home.

The FHOG is $20,000 for new homes built in regional Victoria, for contracts signed from 1 July 2017 to 30 June 2020. (Read information about FHOG amounts available before 1 July 2013.)

Your first home can be a house, townhouse, apartment, unit or similar but it must be valued at $750,000 or less, be the first sale of the property as residential premises and the home must be less than five years old.

It cannot be an investment property or a holiday house.

For additional information, you can visit the website of State Revenue Office of Victoria here.

Home Loan Interest Rates Australia

Western Australia

For Western Australia, its a little more complicated.

The size of the First Home Owner Grant in WA varies depending on where you are buying or building. You can receive a grant amounting to $10,000 if the property is valued at $750,000 and is located south of the 26th parallel of latitude – this includes Perth. The grant is the same size if you are buying a property north of the 26th parallel of latitude up to a value of $1 million.

FHOG is not applicable if you buy an established home or a home that has been occupied previously. However, you may be eligible for the First Home Owner Rate of Duty (FHOR) if the established house costs no more than $530,000.

Apart from the $10,000 FHOG, there is an additional $5,000 boost for those building a new home or buying off-the-plan. The construction of the new home must start within 26 weeks of the date of the contract and be completed within 18 months of commencing construction.

Applicants must live in the home for six months.

For more information, visit the Government of Western Australia’s website here.

General Eligibility requirements

To receive the grant when you buy your home:

  • You must be an individual, not a company or trust
  • You must be over 18
  • You, or at least one person you’re buying with, must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident
  • Generally, you won’t be eligible for the First Home Owner Grant if you or your spouse have previously owned or co-owned a home in Australia or have received an Australian first home owner grant.

However, you may still be eligible if you purchased a residential property after 1 July 2000 and didn’t live in it for more than six continuous months.

How to apply for the FHOG?

You can visit your state government’s website to see if you qualify for the FHOG. If you meet the criteria, you can lodge your application directly to the state or territory government. Speak with one of our Fox Finance Group Lending Specialist if you have more questions about how and when you need to lodge this application.

Do you need more info? Keep reading below with some handy links.

Need more details?  Here are some handy links.

Click here for First Homeowners Grant

Click here for First Home Concession

Apply Now